By Dottie Simpson
WUUC has two different committees to support members with challenges. The Cares and Concerns Committee “organizes meals, rides, or other assistance needed for members/ families going through a loss or other difficult experiences.” The Lay Pastoral Associates is “a team of persons in the congregation who are available to provide pastoral support to members and friends of our community.”
What is a Lay Pastoral Associate (LPA)?
- Lay Pastoral Associates at WUUC is a ministry that provides a confidential, ongoing, caring, non- judgmental listening presence, spiritual support, and hope in times of need for members and friends.
- The Lay Pastoral Care Associates have been recruited by, report directly to, and meet monthly with the minister for ongoing training.
- A Lay Pastoral Associate can work with congregants to find professional support as needed.
Who might want Lay Pastoral Care?
Challenges come our way in life. Some are pretty manageable. Others leave us feeling very alone and overwhelmed, or demand great contemplation. Lay Pastoral Care is available to offer sustained personal support to those enduring grieving, illness, injury, disability, marital changes, unemployment, relocation, care-giving, isolation, inability to attend church, or other difficult life situations.
What are the functions of the Cares and Concerns Committee?
- Cares and Concerns can coordinate on a time limited basis:
- Cares and Concerns makes phone calls to members and friends; sends cards and flowers.
- transportation to medical appointments.
- help with errands or chores for those who are ill or in crisis.
- help with child or animal care in times of need or crisis.
- help with shopping.
- visit congregants in the home upon return from a medical facility.
LPA’s may be reached through Rev. Lois, or call Lori Varosh at the WUUC office, 425-788-6044. You may also contact any of the LPA’s directly: Marian Johnson, Jane Matthewson, Jan Radoslovich, Mark Hopkins, Chuck and Jean Fowler.
Cares and Concerns may be reached by sending an email to Cares@WUUC.org, contacting any of the members directly, or by calling Lori Varosh at the WUUC office. The current members of the Cares & Concerns Committee include: Dottie Simpson, Justin Gertler, Bay LeSage, Ken Vogt, Jerry Bowers, Wendy Condrat
Do contact us if you need something we can provide. We can be there for you.