For more general information about our programs click here.
Sunday, October 9
Blessing of the Animals
* Don’t forget to bring a photo or memorabilia of the pet you would like blessed during our service this Sunday!
* OCTOBER IS NATIONAL BULLYING PREVENTION AWARENESS MONTH Click Here for 3 tips on identifying bullying!
Find your child’s section below!
Volunteers this Sunday: Jennifer Ikeda (supervisor) and Erika Kirkendale
Youth: Brynn and Avery
- Last Sunday: We explore the power of our eyes to expand our awareness of the world around us with the curriculum, I Can See.
- This Sunday: Wake now my senses, I can smell! We will explore our sense of smell as we learn about our senses and how they expand our awareness of beauty in the world.
- Next Sunday: I Can Taste, explore the wonderful world of our taste buds with healthy treats and a great story!
- Last Sunday: We made worry stones as we explored methods for self healing, and planted bulbs in the child
- This Sunday: Full Community Worship, Animal Blessing
- Next Sunday: Justice Jam: We will prep food for Camp Unity!
- We are starting a weekly children’s collection, please provide a coin or two for your child’s offering.
- 9am in Rev. Lo’s office is our Jr Worship associate training, be there or be square! 4th and 5th graders are welcome.
(Building Bridges is a world religions program to deepen youth’s understanding of the dynamic, fascinating, and varied world in which they live. It seeks to broaden their knowledge of humanity and embolden their spiritual search.)
- Last Sunday: Intro to Judaism.
Announcements for Jr. Youth:
- Parents please print and sign the communications form at your convenience.
- Announcement from Lindsay Rogers: As you know, this year we are studying comparative religions using the Building Bridges curriculum from the Unitarian Universalist Association (UUA) as well as the Simpson’s curriculum D’OH God. Last Sunday, Danny and Alaine introduced the youth to the Jewish faith in a lead up to our site visit to Congregation Kol Ami next Friday, October 14th. Please meet the advisors at 7pm in the parking lot of Congregation Kol Ami, located in the same building as the Bear Creek United Methodist Church at 16530 Avondale Road NE. Families are also welcome to attend. Please review this handout before the visit. As a show of respect and gratitude for allowing us to visit during their high holy days, we ask that everyone dress conservatively (no bare shoulders or shorts/short skirts) and please do not wear any other symbols of faith (no chalices please). Males may be asked to wear a yarmulke which will be available when you enter. We look forward to sharing this special experience with you. October 16th is Yom Kippur, the day of Atonement, and the holiest day of the Jewish calendar. We are fortunate to be invited to visit at this time.
- Oct 14 – Visit Congregation Kol Ami, meet at 7pm in the parking lot of Kol Ami (review handout before visit)
- Oct 16 – Youth Group in P1/B 10am, discuss visit to Kol Ami, build a sukkah at the firepit (dress for outdoors), and eat kosher food.
- Oct 16 – ASJ Social Justice Assembly after youth group/service, in the sanctuary. Youth are encouraged to participate. Email Leslie Schmidt for details.
- Oct 29 – JRUU Overnight at WUUC, 6pm in P2 until 10am Sunday. We need two parents (at least one male) to volunteer to spend the night with the youth and advisor, Erin Cohen. Please RSVP to Erin if you can help. If we don’t have the adult headcount required, we’ll need to postpone the overnight. If we don’t already have a background check and code of ethics signed for any adult volunteers, we will need to have that before 10/29.
- Oct 30 – Full Community Worship (no youth group, attend service)
Facilitators: Morgan Mason, Ashley Lacy
- Last Sunday: Project discussion!
- This Sunday: 5 pm Youth CON Orientation with Parents, 6pm Project discussion with advisors, Rev. Lo and Rev. Jamil.
- Next Sunday: Cooking for Camp Unity at 330, Meeting at 445-6pm.
Announcements for YRUU:
- We are narrowing the project ideas for this years’ SYG project and want everyone’s input. Please take the survey in the link below- this will allow you to rate the top 9 topic ideas. If you have questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to Morgan Mason!! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/J6RCTCM
- October 9th: Parent and Youth Con Orientation, if you are attending youth con this fall or plan to attend this spring you are very strongly encouraged to attend the CON orientation at 5pm this Sunday before youth group with parents. Cora Goss-Grubbs will be conducting the orientation. If you are not able to attend please speak with Cora, Ashley, or Jamil to get a briefing on what was covered. PLEASE, PLEASE try to make it.
- Time change for our meeting October 16. We are hoping you will join us to cook for TC4, the tent city for people without homes, the youth are scheduled to cook a big ol’ pot of goodness Sunday, October 16th at 3:30p.
Youth group will happen right afterwards but at a different time.* 330-445 YRUU cooking for TC4* 445-6p YRUU meeting