What is a Lay Pastoral Associate (LPA)?
• Lay Pastoral Associates at WUUC is a ministry that provides a confidential, short-term, caring, non- judgmental listening presence, spiritual support, and hope in times of need for members and friends.
• The Lay Pastoral Care Associates have been recruited by, report directly to, and meet monthly with the minister for ongoing training.
• A Lay Pastoral Associate can work with congregants to find professional support as needed.
Who might want Lay Pastoral Care?
Challenges come our way in life. Some are pretty manageable. Others leave us feeling very alone and overwhelmed, or demand great contemplation.
Lay Pastoral Care is available to offer personal support to those enduring grieving, illness, injury, disability, marital changes, unemployment, relocation, care-giving, isolation or other difficult life situations.
How is the LPA Different from Cares and Concerns?
• Cares and Concerns makes phone calls to members and friends; sends cards and flowers
• Cares and Concerns can provide on a time-limited basis:
– transportation to medical appointments
– help with errands or chores for those who are ill or in crisis
– help with child or animal care in times of need or crisis
– help with shopping
– visit congregants in the home upon return from a medical facility