Mark your calendars for Sunday, Jan. 22, when we will host our second Social Justice Full Community Assembly from 11:45 a.m. – 1:15 p.m.
This full community assembly will be a kick-off to support the movements for Black lives, the congregational resolution that passed with overwhelming support on Dec. 4. When announcing the vote via email, Adam Fass, our Board President, wrote, “I’m sure we have many ideas about what the resolution means for us and how to move forward. You are all invited to stay engaged as the Board, staff, and volunteer leaders of WUUC decide how to translate the words of this resolution into action.”
The Assembly on Jan. 22 is your opportunity to become engaged and move forward. We want your energy, ideas, enthusiasm and most importantly, your willingness to take ACTION as we determine how we can live and breathe our commitment to support People of Color and the movements for Black lives.
Here is what you can do to start taking ACTION now:
- Attend the Social Justice Full Community Assembly. The events will be appropriate for junior youth, senior youth and adults. You know your child(ren) best — use your discretion if you want to include younger kids. Childcare is available upon request.
- Invite and bring along at least one friend or extended family member. The movements to support Black lives is a priority for WUUC. We’d love to have 100+ in attendance to kick off our efforts with a bang. Do your part to help us reach our goal.
- Bring your ideas, thoughts and dreams for ways we can support the movements for Black lives. No idea is too big or too small. We appreciate the creative thinking and mind power of this community.
- Ready yourself to discover how you will support the movements for Black lives.
- Cultivate a willingness to take ACTION. We want this to be the start of turning our commitment to the resolution into a commitment to creating actual and sustained change in the world and in the lives of people of color.
We are still planning the details so more information will come in the weeks ahead. We will provide substantial food as an added enticement.
If you have any questions, please contact Leslie Schmidt at Les.Schmidt65@gmail.com.
Please RSVP if you will need childcare and include the number and ages of the children.
Chair, Advocates for Social Justice