CHOIR DIRECTOR POSITION AVAILABLE
WOODINVILLE UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST CHURCH
19020 NE Woodinville Duvall Road, PO Box 111, Woodinville, WA 98072
The choir director co-leads WUUC’s music ministry by planning musical offerings and leading the 15 – 22 member choir to share them with the congregation. The choir director coordinates with the minister, Worship Team, and other staff to coordinate music selections with worship themes; develops and directs choir members and other musicians; and leads the WUUC choir. The person is expected to affirm the principles and values of WUUC and the Unitarian Universalist Association.
- Weekly choir rehearsals, currently scheduled on Thursday evenings, from 7:15 p.m. to 9 p.m., with sectionals or coordination with accompanist beginning at 6 p.m.
- Sunday morning choir rehearsals and Sunday worship services on performance Sundays from 8 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.
- Quarterly choir retreats/rehearsals for six hours each. One to two annual choir festivals requiring additional rehearsal and performance time. Occasional additional rehearsals, as needed.
- Additional time required for music selection, purchasing and planning music to enhance the monthly theme and speaker’s specific topic.
- Monthly participation in worship planning meetings.
- $500 per month for approximately 6 hours per week on average.
- This is a non-exempt, 10 month, part-time position from mid-August through mid-June.
- This position is not eligible for benefits.
- Send a letter of application with a resume to email@example.com or Woodinville Unitarian Universalist Church, PO Box 111, Woodinville, WA 98072. Attn: Choir Director Search. Please note that WUUC’s office will be closed from Dec 25 – Jan 1.
- This position will be open until filled. Interviews will begin in early-mid January 2020.
- Knowledge of music and choral directing. Coursework in music theory and applications, and continuing education in application of musical constructs, theories, and leadership preferred.
- Ability to develop, organize, and lead the congregation’s music ministry.
- Ability to use email and spreadsheets.
- Willingness to submit to and pass a background check.
- Preference will be given to applicants with a basic knowledge of Unitarian Universalism, its principles and values, or who are willing to review introductory materials about Unitarian Universalism.
- Preference will be given to candidates who are a quick study on the WUUC database and shared documents on Google Docs.
- In consultation with the minister, plans annual choir schedule and music selections in accordance with worship themes. Updates music selections on worship calendar.
- Leads the choir in weekly or twice-weekly rehearsals. Communicates information to choir members in a clear and timely fashion.
- Develops the musicianship, professionalism and camaraderie of choir members.
- Conducts choir performances for worship services.
- Collaborates with piano accompanist and other musicians.
- Coordinates WUUC choir preparation for and participation in regional interfaith and UU choir festivals.
- Works with minister, office administrator, worship associates and special music coordinator regarding music needs for worship services. Provides timely information for worship order of service creation and production.
- Maintains the choir music library, selecting and purchasing choir music when needed.
- Engages the congregation to increase choir participation.
- Attends monthly worship music planning meetings.