The Soul Matters theme for the month of May is “What does it mean to be a people of curiosity?” I invite you to take some time to be curious about the Religious Education program for Children and Youth at WUUC. We are developing our plans for this summer’s program and next year’s classes and we need your help. Regardless of whether or not you want to work with children or have children in the program, there are many ways you can show your support for this vital ministry.
It takes a village to raise a child, and it takes the commitment of the whole church to have a vibrant, active, exciting RE Program. Below is a list of many possible opportunities for you to consider. I encourage you to take a few minutes to open your heart and mind and be curious about ways you can support the future generation of Unitarian Universalists. I am happy to answer any questions or explore options with you.
· RE Teacher / Assistant — Be a regular presence in
· Substitute RE Teacher — Help out when there’s a last-minute need for additional help in an RE class on Sunday morning.
· RE Ambassador — On Sundays when the Director of Lifelong Learning is not at church, the RE Ambassador helps out with anything that comes up unexpectedly, such as a last-minute supply need or finding a sub if an RE teacher / assistant doesn’t make it in to church.
· Sunday Greeter — Greet families as they arrive, help children sign in for the appropriate class, provide directions, answer questions for new families.
· Children’s Church Assistant (and Musicians) — Assisting the DLL with one of the all-ages “children’s church” activities that take place quarterly. On these days, K-8th grade children have a combined program and the regular RE teachers have the Sunday off. (People willing to lead music during the children’s service would be especially appreciated.)
· Craft / Activity / Classroom Preparation — Help to prepare craft and activity materials and/or set up the classroom space sometime during the week before the service.
· Storyteller — Occasionally present the Time For All Ages story during the worship service. Training and assistance selecting stories / activities will be provided
· Activity Table Leader — During once monthly full community services, sit with the children at the activity table at the front of the sanctuary, assist children with quiet activities during the service and redirect them back to their parents if necessary.
· Summer RE Assistant — Assist with (or, if you are interested, lead) two or more RE classes in the summer. A fun and low commitment way to spend time growing in faith with the kids of WUUC!
· Food Provider — Providing / preparing food or snacks for events such as youth activities, teacher training, meetings, etc.
· Family Event Planner — Help to plan an event or two for families in the coming year. This could be anything from an outing to the swimming pool, a movie night, a hiking trip, Family picnic, or whatever you can dream up!
· Youth Con Sponsor — Accompany our high school youth to one of the two annual youth conferences for a weekend.
· Other Ideas? – If you have any special skills or other ideas on how you can support the RE program, I would love to hear them.