By John Hartman
A synopsis of the recommendations made by Christiana Figueres and Tom Rivett-Carnac in “The Future We Choose.”
What You Can Do Now
Here is a summary of the recommendations for a personal action plan for surviving the climate crisis.
- Take a deep breath and decide that you will be a hopeful visionary for humanity through these dark days.
- Decide you will vote for, campaign for and support candidates who champion emissions reductions.
- Commit to reducing your impact on the climate by more than half of what it is today by 2030.
Today or Tomorrow
- Determine where your principal elected officials stand on the climate. Tell them you are watching.
- Choose at least one day a week to go meat free.
- Think big. How do you most impact climate change? What big things can you do?
- Tell others about your commitments in person or on social media.
- Share your personal plan to reduce emissions by more than half with your partner, kids and friends.
- Take some actions and stick with them over time. Bike instead of driving. Switch your energy supply to 100% clean.
- Go outside and look around. This world is damaged and hurting but it is also beautiful and intact and whole. Pay attention!
- Challenge your consumerism. Look at what you have bought and ask yourself whether it brings you joy.
- Understand your privilege in relation to others and commit to helping to level the playing field for all.
- Be political in your daily life. Engage regularly in direct action if that is possible where you live.